Surprise Date Night
Since I’m the best girlfriend in the world I decided to surprise The Boyfriend with a special meal for our Friday night date night. He had no idea besides my cryptic don’t make plans text earlier in the day. So since work is so kind and gives us half day Fridays during the summer (summer hours is what we call them) I hoped and skipped to do a few errands and grab what I needed for my planned meal.
As I was checking things off my to do list like pick up my free pair of underwear from Victoria’s secret and buying a shower curtain I planned the meal in my head. Who needs a list or recipes? Not I. Sometimes this works in my favor, other times it fails miserably.
On the menu for tonight was roasted chicken, asparagus, red potatoes and carrots. But don’t let that delicious sounding meal fool you I had a trick up my sleeve for dessert. I know The Boyfriend likes chocolate cream pie which I agree is tasty but is not so good for you. I decided to make my own twist on it and turned it into chocolate ice cream pie with much fewer calories and still just as tasty. Look out for a future post about the dessert. For now here is the meal.
I don’t have a science really to this as for spicing it. I kind of experiment and throw stuff on it from the spice rack hoping it tastes good. It has each time.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1.5 lbs of small red potatoes
- 1 handful or two of baby carrots
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon halved
- Any spices you have on hand (I used S&P, basil, thyme, a little rosemary and used a little paprika on the potatoes and carrots)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse your chicken off and pat it dry.
- Place it on your roasting rack and rub the olive oil on the skin. Put sliced lemon in the chicken cavity (I didn’t know what else to call the inside, haha)
- Rub chicken with spices and garlic. You can cut under the skin and get some under there if you want to as well.
- Chop up the carrots and potatoes and top with a little olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Sprinkle them around the chicken.
- Place in oven and cook for about 1.5 hours or until chicken is done. When done take out and let it cool off for a few minutes before you begin to cut it.
Baked Asparagus – a family favorite. My dad LOVES this and requests I make it every time I come because my mom can’t seem to get it down right. It’s easy and SO good!
- As much asparagus as you want
- Olive Oil
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse off your asparagus and break off the bottom parts. Pat dry.
- Place asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Move around asparagus to make sure all of it gets a little olive oil on it.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes (depends on your oven) or until your desired softness is reached.
- Take out and serve.
The boyfriend was thrilled with this meal and cleared his plate. I take this as a victory on my part. I’ve got him to like asparagus. 1 vegetable down and a hundred more to go. It’s the small steps people.
Question of the Day:
What’s the best date you’ve ever been on? What did you do?